Saturday, May 9, 2009

Friday - Julian of Norwich


While I promised that I wouldn't post anything from Friday, I'll include a couple of items before getting on the road. Saturday traffic should provide a quicker trip than the earlier ones. Pictures also are worth a thousand words. As you can see, one participant knew how to dress for the occasion.

I also want to return to Christal Joy's pin and its story - in her own words. She also dressed for the occasion and it was wonderful to see her on Friday morning.



Here is the story of the button in her own words:

We are one in the spirit



While on a retreat at the Convent of ths Sisterhood of St. John the Divine in April, 2007 several Celtic Knots were given to me to color as a way of praying contemplatively. It took me 3 1/2 hours to colour this particular one while praying the whole time. As I did the colouring I found that the Celtic Knot design lent itself to my being able to bring my Native traditional beliefs and my new found Faith in Christ together.

I used yellow, red, black, white, blue, and purple. The traditional colours of yellow, red, black and white, represent the four directions and also the nations of the world being united in one circle. The purple or lavender, I have recently learned, represents the Grandmothers or Elders. The white represents wisdom.

As I was colouring the cross purple, I realized it symbolized the suffering and death of Jesus on the cross with the white cross in the centre representing Jesus' resurrection and ascension into heaven.

As I prayed with the design, God gave me more understanding. The blue colour of the knot is the colour of the habit the Sisters wear. The "knot" also symbolizes the different paths we take in life. It is the thread given to the Israelites to remind them and me of how Awesome God is.

The outer blue circle is God's all-encompassing Love for me and the love I am called to give to others. The white cross in the centre symbolizes Christ as the Centre of My Life. The Buttons are called 'We are One in the Spirit'.

Being able to share this with others is my way of thanking God for all God has done for me.

***

There is much more to come but I wanted you to have this to reflect and ponder on as you enjoy your morning coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment